Fruit curd is a combination of beaten egg yolks, fruit, sugar and more often than not, butter. Lemon is by far the most popular version, and with good reason, it is scrumptious…but for me it does not even compare to this passionfruit curd, which is simply divine! It’s rich, creamy, tangy, tropical, colourful and so moreish that it’s hard not to eat a whole jar with a spoon. I have done so on more than one occasion and I am not ashamed to admit it! It’s fabulous on toast, with ice-cream or yoghurt, used to glue together a victoria sponge, or wrapped in a pie case with a crispy meringue on top made from the leftover egg whites.
We have had a glut of passionfruit on our vines this year, which gave us the opportunity to taste test plenty of curds and to experiment with ratios. It all tasted pretty good, but this was the recipe we loved and will be sticking to from now on. The lemon juice cuts through the sweetness of the passionfruit giving the curd the perfect level of tartness. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Ingredients for 350ml (12oz) Jar
– 250ml Passionfruit flesh
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 100g caster sugar
– 100g butter
– 6 egg yolks
Step 1. Combine passionfruit flesh and lemon juice in a small saucepan and reduce to half the volume. Reducing the juice intensifies both the colour and the flavour. Leave it to cool.
Step 2. In a medium sized bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
Step 3. Add the yolks, one at a time, beating the mixture well after each addition
Step 4. Gradually add the passionfruit and lemon juice, stirring the mixture well throughout.
Step 5. Fill a pan half-full with water and bring to a simmering boil. Place the steel bowl containing the curd mixture on top. Stir continuously until the curd has thickened. It will thicken further on cooling, but it should still stick to the back of a spoon at this stage.
Step 6. Transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
It sure makes a fabulous breakfast! Shown here with one of my other favourite spreads, Grapefruit curd.
- 250ml Passion Fruit flesh
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 6 egg yolks
- Combine passion fruit flesh and lemon juice in a small saucepan and reduce to half the volume and leave it to cool
- In a medium sized stainless bowl, cream together the butter and sugar
- Add the yolks, one at a time, and beating the mixture well each time
- Gradually add the passion fruit and lemon juice, stirring the mixture well throughout
- Fill a pan half-full with water and bring to a simmering boil. Place the steel bowl containing the curd mixture on top. Stir continuously until the curd has thickened. It will thicken further on cooling
- Transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks