This year was our first ever grapefruit harvest and predictably, as I adore grapefruit juice, most of the fruit ended up in a glass. I managed to hold some back to experiment with curd, and was not disappointed, it’s pretty special. In fact, I am determned to show a bit more restraint next year, cut down on the juicing and make a lot more of it! I used ruby grapefruits for this batch, and whilst the curd did not turn out quite as pink as I would have liked, it’s still very attractive. The recipe and methods are very similar to yesterday’s passionfruit curd, but I use more lemon juice in this recipe to add tartness and zest to intensify flavour. I also reduce the juice and zest down to half the original volume to really concentrate the the flavour. As with lemon and passionfruit curd, it’s great in a tart or cake, but I think this curd works best smothered on a thick slice of toast with lashings of homemade butter – probably because I strongly associate Grapefruit with a yummy breakfast!
– 500ml grapefruit juice
– 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 100g caster sugar (we just blitz organic raw sugar in the blender)
– 100g butter
– 6 egg yolks
Step 1. Juice grapefruit and lemon
Step 2. Combine the juice and zest in a small saucepan and reduce down to half the volume. Strain through a fine sieve, then leave it to cool.
Step 2. In a medium sized bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
Step 3. Add the yolks, one at a time, beating the mixture well after each addition
Step 4. Gradually add the grapefruit juice, stirring the mixture continually
Step 5. Fill a pan half-full with water and bring to a simmering boil. Place the steel bowl containing the curd mixture on top. Stir until the curd has thickened. Be sure not to take it off the heat too early or you will end up with a runny curd, it should stick to the back of the spoon when ready.
Step 6. Transfer the curd to a clean jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
- 500ml grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 6 egg yolks
- Juice grapefruit and lemon
- Combine juice and zest in a small saucepan and reduce to half the volume. Strain through a fine sieve and leave it to cool
- In a medium sized stainless bowl, cream together the butter and sugar
- Add the yolks, one at a time, and beating the mixture well each time
- Gradually add the grapefruit juice, stirring the mixture well throughout
- Fill a pan half-full with water and bring to a simmering boil. Place the steel bowl containing the curd mixture on top
- Stir continuously until the curd has thickened. Transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks